CREW | Teams Dominate at Head of the Occoquan Regatta

Last weekend, the Georgetown men’s and women’s crew teams recorded strong showings at the Head of the Occoquan Regatta in Sandy Run, Va., at the final regatta of the fall season.

All four varsity eight boats for the men’s and women’s teams had successful weekends; the men’s varsity eights finished first with a time of 14:38.74, while the women’s varsity eights placed first with a time of 16:40.40. The Hoyas also earned second place in both the men’s and women’s varsity eights races.

Sophomore coxswain Schylar Jacobs led the victorious women’s varsity eight boat, which comprised sophomore Mia Tsudis, senior Emily Phelps, junior Mara Sylvia, senior Monica Firmani and freshmen Anatasia Sukharevsky, Helena Jensen, Erica Arnold and Hannah Weingartner.

The women’s eights faced a field of 15 teams, with the top competition coming from George Mason University, Robert Morris and the University of Pittsburgh. Each school finished more than one minute behind Georgetown’s top boat.

The top men’s varsity eight boat was composed of junior coxswain Hannah Elwell, senior Artym Hayda, junior Olivier Malle, senior Joe Cecil, senior Kiefer Mueller, junior Reid Noch, sophomore Jonathan Menendez, freshman Charles Koontz and junior Liam Lafferty.

The men’s varsity eights defeated a 22-boat field, which included Marietta College, the University of Delaware and Saint Joseph’s University.

Georgetown also earned victories in all of its races across the men’s and women’s teams in the varsity and lightweight fours.

The men’s varsity fours finished ahead of the pack with a time of 16:19.0, while the lightweight fours recorded the top time in their race, coming in at 17:26.95.

The women’s varsity fours defeated the field by more than 40 seconds, recording a time of 18:38.20. The women’s lightweight fours relied on senior Karatina Stough’s experience and placed first with a time of 18:25.63.

Women’s rowing Head Coach Kendall Mulligan said that the Hoyas depth allowed them to have success across multiple races in the regatta.

“Depth was important for us as we push toward our goals,” Mulligan said in an interview with The Hoya. “70 Georgetown women [took] on the Occoquan.”

Men’s lightweight varsity Head Coach Lee Rumpf noted that multiple members of the men’s team had experience at the Head of the Occoquan and were prepared for the regatta.

“Our junior coxwains have done that course a couple times now,” Rumpf said in an in interview with The Hoya.

Many other boats produced strong results to end the Hoyas’ fall season last weekend. The men’s junior varsity eights won with a final time of 15:20.81, while the top women’s junior varsity eights placed first with a time of 17:43.84.

Georgetown also recorded victories in the novice women’s fours, novice men’s eights, novice women’s eights, men’s junior varsity fours and women’s junior varsity fours over the weekend.

Men’s rowing Head Coach Luke Agnini said that the Hoyas will look to build off their fall performances.

“[We want] to think about taking what [we’ve] developed over the fall and adding one or two layers on top of it,” Agnini said.