MEN’S GOLF | DiPasquale Shines for GU at Wildcat Fall Invitational

GU HOYAS
Despite inconsistent putting, tough conditions, and a young lineup, the Georgetown men’s golf team managed to take third at Villanova’s Wildcat Fall Invitational.

The Georgetown men’s golf team was back in action this week, placing third out of seven teams at the Wildcat Fall Invitational hosted by Villanova University from Sept. 28 to Sept. 30.

The Hoyas, who lost three of the five players from last season’s Big East championship winning team, shot a 21-over par 873 in the three-round tournament at White Manor Country Club in Malvern, Penn.

Appalachian State University carded a 12-over par 864 to earn first place at the tournament. The University of Delaware came back to take second place with a 20-over par 872, with Georgetown one shot behind.

Junior Patrick DiPasquale led the Hoyas in scoring at the tournament, finishing at 2-over par in a tie with junior Tripp Summerlin and senior Chance Watson of Appalachian State for a medal position.

In the second round DiPasquale double-bogeyed the 10th hole. He rebounded and birdied two of the last four holes en route to an even par round of 71.

Head Coach Tommy Hunter praised DiPasquale’s resilience and explained that his grit allows him to be successful.

“When he was above par, he found a way to make those crucial birdies to get back,” Hunter said in an interview with The Hoya.

Freshman Will O’Neill, who finished at 8-over par and third on the team despite shooting a 77 on Sunday, marked another bright spot for the Hoyas over the weekend.

O’Neill led the Blue and Gray with a 71 on Friday and found himself in a new position, paired up with number one players from other teams.

Junior Eduardo Blochtein tied for 10th with a 5-over par score, while junior Hardin Councill tied with O’Neill for 20th place. Sophomore Will Rand carded a 15-over par, tying for 35th place.

Sophomore Anthony Perrino competed as an individual in the tournament and carded a 14-over par 227 over the three rounds.

The players battled a tough golf course, highlighted by bumps in the greens due to aeration. The Hoyas struggled to make putts and, while they led the field in pars, ranked last in birdie putts.

Hunter thought his players were unlucky over the weekend.

“They hit the ball well, they hit it close, they just couldn’t make putts   . . . the ball just didn’t fall,” Hunter said. “We can’t get upset with that, we just need to understand that [it’s] the nature of the game.”

The Hoyas will head to West Virginia Oct. 8 to compete in the Mountaineer Classic hosted by the University of West Virginia.