Field Hockey | Georgetown Stumbles vs. Brown

Sophomore midfield Jax Van Der Veen has 6 points on the season, including 4 assists.
Hannah Levine/The Hoya

After a 2-1 loss to Quinnipiac on Sept. 21, the Georgetown field hockey team was unable to rebound on Sunday, falling 4-2 to Brown.

Georgetown (6-3, 0-2 Big East) began the season with a five-game winning streak but has lost three of its last four matches.

The Hoyas recorded nine shots in the first half of their matchup against the Bears (3-5, 0-1 Ivy League), who scored on their one shot on target in the first half. Georgetown outshot Brown 15 to 7 over the course of the game and took 3 penalty shots more than the Bears.

Brown took the lead 27 minutes into the match, when Brown senior Rachel Lanouette knocked in a goal off a Hoya defender.

With 23 seconds left in the half, Georgetown responded, as sophomore Cami Osborne scored on a penalty corner, tying the game at one. The assists for the goal were awarded to fellow sophomore Ali Cronin and junior Ashley Leverrett.

Five minutes into the second half, junior Lindsay Getz added a goal to give Georgetown the lead. The Hoyas were unable to hold their advantage, conceding a goal three minutes later on a penalty corner by Brown’s freshman Danielle van Rootselaar.

In the 54th minute, Brown broke the tie as junior Ali Dunning recorded a goal. Three minutes later, junior Corinne Condie scored the Bears’ fourth goal, sealing the victory.

Georgetown Head Coach Christy Longacre discussed the Hoyas’ drop in play in the second half.

“We played our game plan really well — we were on our toes and in the second half we started on our heels and kind of sank and went into defense mode and weren’t attacking like we were in the first half,” Longacre said in an interview with The Hoya. “For the most part we played pretty well this weekend and tried to stick to our game plan.”

Now that the Hoyas have passed the halfway mark of the season, Longacre is looking forward to Georgetown’s upcoming matches.

“Winning builds confidence and trust and definitely with a different coaching staff this fall, it built a lot of trust with the girls sticking to the game plan,” Longacre said. “The girls continue to get better and continue to grow each game. […] The team can be great and hang with teams ranked in the top 20 and it will be good for them to see that they can do it.”

The Hoyas will return to Cooper Field this Friday to take on Big East opponent Old Dominion at 12 p.m.