FOOTBALL | Hoyas Earn 1st Patriot League Win Since 2015

The Georgetown football team beat Fordham University 23-11 last Saturday to earn its first conference win of the season. The on the road win halted a four game losing skid and marks Georgetown’s first Patriot League win since October 2015.

The Hoyas (2-4, 1-0 Patriot League) saw key contributions from several important players against Fordham (0-5, 0-1 Patriot League). Junior quarterback Gunther Johnson commanded the offense, completing 19 of 28 passes for 203 yards and a touchdown. His favorite target of the day, senior wideout Brandon Williams, hauled in seven catches for 89 yards over the course of the game.

GUHOYAS | Junior defensive lineman Khristian Tate, middle, has recorded 29 total tackles for the Hoyas this season. Tate also has 3.5 sacks this season, including 1.5 sacks in Georgetown’s win over Fordham.

Head Coach Rob Sgarlata said the team’s preparation and focus was vital to its success.

“The kids prepared really well, stayed steady, and supported each other,” Sgarlata said in an interview with The Hoya. “This was probably one of the more complete games we have played.”

Freshman running back Herman Moultrie III led Georgetown’s rushing attack with 62 yards and two touchdowns on the ground.

Moultrie said he remained patient and knew he could have success in the running game.

“I noticed I was getting through the first level, so I knew I was going to break some longer runs,” Moultrie said in an interview with The Hoya. “I just trusted the flow of the game, and I was excited I got to do that by the end of the game.”

Defensively, the Hoyas recorded two interceptions and five sacks. Both picks came in the fourth quarter courtesy of senior defensive back Jethro Francois.

Sgarlata praised Francois’ dedication to football and his resilience in fighting through injuries, calling him “a true student of the game.”

“He’s always watching film, but he has also fought through a handful of injuries,” Sgarlata said. “It’s great to see him have success.”

Sophomore linebacker Wes Bowers recorded ten tackles, while sophomore linebacker George Ikott totaled eight tackles.

Junior defensive lineman Khristian Tate added 1.5 sacks and a two-point conversion to put the Hoyas up 8-0.

Francois said that the defense’s communication and preparation helped the Hoyas throughout the game.

“All the defensive success today started in practice. We emphasized communication. We needed to make the right calls and work as a team,” Francois said. “If we are all on the same page, we are going to be successful.”

The defense held Fordham without a first down until the final play of the first quarter, conceding 32 total yards in the first frame.

After a bad snap that led to a safety and two long Fordham drives, the Blue and Gray trailed 11-8 early in the third quarter. Georgetown answered back on the ensuing drive, capped off by a six-yard touchdown carry by Moultrie.

On the next two drives, Francois intercepted the Rams’ quarterback. The defense sealed the game when sophomore linebacker Xavier Reddick sacked the Fordham quarterback. On the following play, Tate and sophomore defensive lineman Duval Paul combined for another sack that led to a safety.

Francois said that the Hoyas are looking to build on this success.

“The mood right now is electric,” Francois said. “We are so happy to have this one, but we are focused on getting more wins.”

The Hoyas travel to Easton, Pa., to play Lafayette on Saturday, Oct. 13. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m.