MEN’S BASKETBALL | Domingo Set to Transfer

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA

Sophomore guard Stephen Domingo will transfer from Georgetown, according to CBS Sports. In two seasons with the Hoyas, Domingo received limited playing time, averaging 5.05 minutes a game and scoring only a total of 29 points on 11-of-40 shooting.

Originally a member of the Class of 2013, the California native graduated high school after his junior year and joined Georgetown a year earlier than expected. Domingo was a decorated high school player and was named to the USA U-17 World Championship team in 2012. He started seven of eight games en route to winning the gold medal with Team USA.There were high expectations for the 6-foot-6-inch, 206-pound guard. His frame and shooting ability garnered comparisons to guard Hollis Thompson, who played for the Hoyas for three years and currently plays for the Philadelphia 76ers, but ultimately Domingo did not produce.

In his first season, Domingo appeared in 20 games and scored a total of 20 points. His best game came on Dec. 10, 2012, against Longwood. In Georgetown’s 89-53 win, the guard scored a career-high seven points on 3-of-7 shooting in 18 minutes.

Entering his sophomore year, there was renewed hope for the 18-year-old Domingo. With Otto Porter’s departure, the guard seemed poised for a breakout season. But even with a depleted roster he was unable to earn any significant playing time, only appearing in 19 games.

This report follows the announcement that senior center Moses Ayegba, who has one year of eligibility remaining, will transfer and senior forward Aaron Bowen will return next season for his final season of eligibility.