MEN’S BASKETBALL | GU Blows Double-Digit Lead, Loses Big East Opener to Butler in 2OT

After jumping ahead to an 18-point lead at halftime, the Georgetown men’s basketball team fell to the Butler Bulldogs 91-89 in double overtime at the Capital One Arena on Wednesday.

Georgetown (10-2, 0-1 Big East ) dominated the first half of play, garnering a double-digit lead in the first 10 minutes and expanding its lead to 20 points with two minutes left in the half. Junior forward Marcus Derrickson scored 11 points in the first half and freshman guard Jahvon Blair added 10 points. The Hoyas held a 42-24 lead at the half.

In the second half,  Butler went to work right away to chip away at the deficit. After cutting the Blue and Gray’s lead to 10 points, the Bulldogs went on a 10-2 run and came within 4 points with five minutes left to play. With 1:31 on the clock, Butler took its first lead of the game, 71-70. Georgetown came right back, as Derrickson knocked down a three-pointer to put the Hoyas up by two with under a minute left.

With under seven seconds left in regulation play, Georgetown continued to lead by two points, but Bulldogs redshirt sophomore Sean McDermott’s tip-in as time ran out tied the game at 75, sending the game into the first overtime.

In a tightly contested first overtime, Georgetown held an 81-77 lead with under two minutes to play. But with less than two minutes left in the game, Butler scored four straight points to tie it up, and the teams traded foul shots in the final minute to send the game into a second overtime period.

In the second overtime, the teams traded leads four times. Junior center Jessie Govan made two free throws to put the Hoyas up two points with 1:04 left. However, Bulldogs senior forward Kelan Martin nailed two consecutive jumpers to put them up 91-89 and give Butler the win in the final seconds.

Georgetown failed to capitalize on double-doubles from both Govan, who had 19 points and 13 rebounds, and Derrickson, who had 23 points and 11 rebounds. Blair ended the game with 17 points in 26 minutes off the bench.

The Hoyas struggled to protect the ball over the course of the game, committing 21 turnovers that led to 22 points for the Bulldogs. Georgetown led Butler for nearly 42 minutes, while Butler held its leads for about one minute of game play.

The Hoyas return to Big East action Saturday afternoon as they travel to Milwaukee to take on the Marquette Golden Eagles (9-4, 0-1 Big East). Fans can tune in live on Fox Sports 1 and listen locally on 106.7 FM at 4:30 p.m.