Men’s Basketball | Hoyas Blow Late Lead as Terrapins Rally

DAN KREYTAK/THE HOYA
DAN KREYTAK/THE HOYA
DAN KREYTAK/THE HOYA

With 71 seconds left in the game, the men’s basketball team blew a seven-point lead at home, falling 76-75 to local rival Maryland.

Up 75-74 at home with seven seconds left, the Hoyas (1-1) fouled the Terrapins’ (2-0) star junior guard Melo Trimble. He stepped to the free throw line and netted the game-winning shots.

Leading the way with a game-high 22 points and scoring six points in the final 97 seconds, Trimble also set up almost every Terrapin score — whether it was free throws for freshman guard Anthony Cowan or an open three for freshman guard Kevin Huerter.

A Terrapin offense that struggled for much of the game saw it notch 18 points in nine of its final 10 possessions to close the game, while the Georgetown offense failed to break Maryland’s press and turned the ball over three times in the last minute of the game.

Junior guard Tre Campbell stepped out of bounds with eight seconds left and the Hoyas up one. Maryland inbounded the ball and junior guard L.J. Peak, who finished with a team-high 21 points, fouled Trimble when they both went up for the pass — the final mistake in a litany of errors that ultimately cost Georgetown the game.

“We have to go back and we have to learn. We can’t have fouls with no time coming off the clock. You have to know where you are on the court. Our turnovers are things that we can control as opposed to that they forced us into,” Head Coach John Thompson III said following the loss. “It is hard sitting here to find something positive, but we played well for long stretches and at the end we have a lot of things we can learn from.”

Georgetown now turns toward its first home game at McDonough Gymnasium in three years — a battle with Arkansas State (1-1) on Thursday evening.

Tipoff is set for 6:30 p.m.