Men’s Basketball | Hoyas’ Superior Shooting Downs Tigers

FILE PHOTO: NATE MOULTON/THE HOYA Junior guard D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera, who is averaging a team-high 14 points, led the Hoyas with 16 points.
FILE PHOTO: NATE MOULTON/THE HOYA
Junior guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera led the Hoyas against Towson, scoring 16 points in the contest. Smith-Rivera is averaging a team-high 14 points this season.

In a regional showdown, Georgetown’s men’s basketball team (5-2) had five players score in the double digits, lifting it to a 78-46 victory over Towson (7-2) on Sunday at Verizon Center.

Towson made only five of its 21 field goal attempts in the first half and finished with a 41 percent field goal percentage. Georgetown shot 55 percent from the field, which sealed the win in the end.

“I think we’re a better shooting team than what we have shown, so as our guys settle in, the ball is going to go in,” Head Coach John Thompson III said.

Senior guard Jabril Trawick, senior center Josh Smith, junior guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, freshman forward Paul White and freshman forward Isaac Copeland all scored double-digit points. Smith-Rivera led all scorers with 16 points.

“We just wanted to come out and be aggressive,” Smith-Rivera said.

They certainly accomplished that goal, taking 51 shots and making 11-of-22 three pointers, three of which came from White.

White, who converted three of his four attempts from beyond the arc, was the first player off the bench for the Hoyas, and his contributions helped establish a commanding lead.

Copeland checked in for the first time in the game with just under 10 minutes to play in the first half, but scored all 10 of his points in the second half, punctuating both his performance and the game with a thunderous dunk with one second remaining in the contest.

“If the guys play like they did today it takes the tension out of it, because you just pass to the open guy and the open guy can score,” Thompson said. “So if you get five guys out there that can share the game, that can score, that can help each other. We have a team where we can put five guys on the floor and the opposition has to worry about each of them.”

Georgetown outrebounded Towson by a slim margin of 28-26 and committed 12 turnovers compared to the Tigers’ 17, but the Hoya defense was relentless throughout.

The Blue and Gray forced the Tigers to miss all 12 of their three-point attempts, and repeatedly stifled them in the lane. Several times, Towson was forced to throw up desperation shots as the shot clock wound down.

“From the beginning we were attentive [on defense]. We focused on that a lot this week and I thought they did a good job right from the beginning and sustained it,” Thompson said. “That’s a pretty good team. They are better than the final score indicates. They put five guys on the floor that can score, so I thought our guys did a good job of working together as a unit.”

Georgetown was up 40-17 at the half and extended the lead to as much as 35 points.

Despite their convincing early lead, the players didn’t find it hard to maintain their intensity.

“We just looked at him,” Smith-Rivera said, gesturing to Thompson, while explaining how the team stays motivated.

With Kansas up next on Wednesday night at Verizon Center, Georgetown will have to bring that same intensity and focus to beat the No. 10 team in the country. Smith, who led the team with 7 rebounds, said being aggressive on the glass is key.

“I feel like when we control the boards, these guys like to get out in transition and with our offense everybody is a weapon,” Smith said. “As long as we get rebounds and control the boards I think we should be fine.”