Men’s Soccer | Hoyas Dominate Chanticleers, Win 2nd Straight Game

The Georgetown men’s soccer team defeated No. 19 Coastal Carolina on Monday in its home opener. With strong defense, the Hoyas have yet to give up a goal in their first two matchups.
The Hoyas (2-0, Big East) took control early against the Chanticleers (0-2, Big South) as senior midfielder Christopher Lema started off the scoring with a penalty kick goal in the 16th minute. Coastal Carolina attempted to answer back, but failed as a header sailed wide left.
Georgetown kept attacking for the rest of the first half and took 11 shots on goal. The high-intensity attack paid off as the Hoyas scored again before the half came to a close. In the 42nd minute, junior defender Peter Schropp took a corner kick from Lema and knocked in a shot to give the Hoyas a 2-0 lead at the half.
In the second half, the Chanticleers got some looks early on, but failed to cut into their deficit. Later in the half, they had two shots on goal, but both were saved by junior Hoya goalkeeper J.T. Marcinkowski.
The Hoyas kept their momentum and looked for a dagger. After missing on two one-on-one opportunities, sophomore forward Achara converted in the 80th minute off an assist by freshman midfielder Jacob Montes to give Georgetown a commanding 3-0 lead.
The Blue and Gray kept the Chants scoreless for the rest of the contest, cruising to another shutout win. For the afternoon, the Hoyas outshot Coastal Carolina 18-10 and limited their opponent to only the two shots on goal saved by Marcinkowski.
Marcinkowski has notched several accolades this season thus far including Big East Preseason Goalkeeper of the Year and Big East Weekly Honor Roll after the Hoyas’ victory over the Chanticleers.  This marks Marcinkowski’s second weekly honor roll of his career and the first of the season for Georgetown.
Georgetown returns to action against Cal Poly on Friday afternoon at Shaw Field. The match will be streamed on Hoyas Live on the FOX Sports GO app.