MEN’S TRACK & FIELD | Squad Begins Winter Season With Flurry of Top-5 Finishes

GUHOYAS
Junior middle distance runner Spencer Brown won the 800-meter run by over two seconds with a time of 1:54.23, one of three individual victories for the Hoyas at the Navy Invitational.
GUHOYAS Junior middle distance runner Spencer Brown won the 800-meter run by over two seconds with a time of 1:54.23, one of three individual victories for the Hoyas at the Navy Invitational.
GUHOYAS

Following intense training throughout the fall, Director of Track and Field Julie Culley said the Hoyas were eager to start the season on a high note. On Dec. 2, the Georgetown men’s track and field team suceeded, beginning its indoor season at the Navy Invitational in Annapolis, Md., with four victories, including three individual events and a relay.

“This early season meet, we don’t really look at times as much. It’s just good for a lot of the guys to get back out there and really compete so it’s good to see them. The times really are irrelevant. The wins are kind of what matters and just [that they] really get out there and race again,” Culley said.

Georgetown had several individual successes in Annapolis. Junior Spencer Brown won the 800-meter run by over two seconds with a time of 1:54.23.

“Spencer had a little interruption of injury during the cross-country season. So [we got] to see him back at full strength and really just run for the win,” Culley said.

The Hoyas had three runners place in the top four in the 1500m run. Freshman Rey Rivera finished fourth, while sophomore Joshua Bell finished second. However, it was senior Charles Cooper who took home the first place honor with a time of 3:48.97, edging out Bell by 0.35 seconds.

“Getting to see Charles run the 1500 was great, and Joshua did a lot of the work to push the pace in the 1500 after ‘the rabbit,’ Amos Bartelsmeyer, dropped out so it was fun to see those guys,” Culley said.

In the 3000m run, the Hoyas had another notable performance with two runners placing in the top three of the event. Freshman Ty Brownlow finished third and sophomore Eion Nohilly finished in first with a time of 8:30.40. Nohilly blew away the competition, winning the race by over three seconds.

In the 4x400m relay, the quartet of Rivera, freshman Lawrence Leake, sophomore Quincey Wilson, and freshman Nate Alleyne claimed first place in the event with a time of 3:17.37. Despite trailing heading into the final leg, Alleyne anchored the team well and was able to lead the Hoyas to a win.

The Hoyas’ victory at the event marked the second consecutive year that Georgetown has come away with the win at the Navy Invitational.

“It was really cool that [Alleyne] was able to take over the lead in the final leg of the 4×400 and end up getting the win for the team. Great way to cap off the meet,” Culley said.

Overall, the 4x400m relay capped off a successful meet for the Hoyas in which they won four events and had eight marks among the top three.

“It was great to see some of the younger guys, a bunch of freshmen, get to race for the Blue and Gray for the first time. [It’s] always a good thing [to] get the nerves and jitters out and see how well their fall training went, so overall I think we were really really pleased,” Culley said.

With finals and the holiday break coming up, this period is crucial for the Georgetown track and field season.

“They have to keep their foot on the gas now, which is hard because of finals and obviously the holidays. But that first meet you see who worked really hard over break and was able to string together some good training. Consistency is really key for us right now, and making sure everybody is doing their job and comes back ready to get the new year and new season really rolling,” Culley said.

Following the Navy Invitational, the Hoyas have a long layoff for the holidays before their next meet, the Nittany Lion Challenge in State College, Pa., which takes place after the new year.