Sailing | Georgetown Victorious in Multiple Regattas

The Georgetown sailing team started its fall schedule of regattas with a series of victories, taking home the Riley Cup in Norfolk, Va., on Sept. 9, and recording top five finishes at the Chesapeake Invitational on Sept. 15 and the Coed and Women’s Regatta last weekend.

In the first division at the Riley Cup, seniors Andy Reiter and Claire Mohun placed first out of 17 teams with eight points, while senior Noah Kelleher and sophomore Juliana Rustum earned eighth place with 45 points.

GUHOYAS | Seniors Lola Bushnell, Rose Edwards, Rebecca Fung, Grace Hanrahan, Hannah Hess, Meaghan MacRace and Jack Marshall were all named to the 2017-18 All-Academic Sailing Team. 

Freshman Jack Reiter and junior Gwyneth Dunlevy earned first place in the second division at the event.

In his Georgetown debut at the Laser South Qualifier on Sept. 8 in Annapolis, Md., freshman Ford McCann finished second behind Leo Boucher of St. Mary’s College.

The following weekend on Sept. 15, Georgetown competed at the Chesapeake Invitational in St Mary’s City, Md., and continued to find success. The Hoyas finished second on Saturday and took the top three places in Sunday’s regatta.

Junior William Logue and sophomore Caroline Teare finished first with 39 points, while Reiter and senior Hayley Shea earned 43 points to finish second. Junior Sean Segerblom and senior Rebecca Fung completed the Hoyas’ sweep, placing third with 53 points.

At the Middle Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association’s Men’s Singlehanded Championship in Annapolis, Md., on Sept. 22, Ford McCann recorded a second-place finish with 55 points, again finishing behind Leo Boucher. Freshman John Patrick Panarella placed 15th out of the 18 competitors.

McCann finished in the top five in ten of the weekend’s 14 races to earn a spot at the ICSA Singlehanded Nationals in November.

The Hoyas, who co-hosted the Coed Regatta on Sept. 22 with The George Washington University, placed first out of nine teams at the event. Reiter, Mohun and Shea, along with sophomore Jack Hogan, finished first in seven of 14 first division races. Georgetown finished 101 points ahead of second place finisher Fordham.

In the second division, Logue, Teare and Fung also placed first, finishing in the top five in nine races and recording 70 points.

Georgetown also co-hosted the Women’s Regatta last weekend in Washington, D.C. The Hoyas, who competed in a race with both first and second division squads, placed 10th and 11th out of 18 teams.

Next weekend, the Hoyas will compete in two regattas, the MAISA Match Race Championships in Kings Point, N.Y., and the Women’s Showcase in Annapolis, Md.