SAILING | Hoyas Dominate in Virginia

Over the Easter break, Georgetown’s sailing team took a break from the regatta season and practiced hard on a weekend off. The weekend previous, however, the co-ed team won its fourth victory of the season at the Hanbury Trophy Team Race in Newport News, Va.

GUHOYAS
The Georgetown sailing team cruised to a dominant 20-0 performance at the Hanbury Trophy Team Race in Virginia.

The sailing team cruised to a dominant 20-0 performance, defeating the six-boat field. Georgetown bested Jacksonville University, The George Washington University, The U.S. Naval Academy, Christopher Newport University and Old Dominion University in the regatta. The Hoyas went 5-0 in the quartet of round robins.

The crews were skippered by sophomore Sean Segerblom, senior Roger Dorr and senior Rose Edwards, who have led the Hoyas all season. The crews also benefited from strong leadership from junior Haley Shea and freshman Caroline Teare.

The Hoyas received more good news last week, when they were recognized by Sailing World as the third-ranked co-ed team in the nation.  The Georgetown women’s sailing team was ranked number eight in the national rankings.

Georgetown will compete in the MAISA Team Race Championship this weekend in Ithaca, N.Y.