SAILING | Squad Remains Strong Among Nation’s Best

GUHOYAS 
The Georgetown sailing team, after relinquishing its No. 1 ranking, will compete in the Navy Fall Coed Intersectional this weekend.
GUHOYAS The Georgetown sailing team, after relinquishing its No. 1 ranking, will compete in the Navy Fall Coed Intersectional this weekend.
GUHOYAS

The Georgetown sailing team faced captured multiple victories this weekend as they fought against the top crews in the country in both the Carl Van Duyne MAISA Singles at Kings Point, N.Y. and the Jen Harris Navy Fall Women’s Regatta in Annapolis, Md.  

Georgetown faced up to 12-30mph gusts in the tough Kings Point conditions. Senior Clay Broussard had a stellar performance in the MAISA singles championship, punching himself a ticket to National Championships by placing 3rd amongst a field of 18 crews.

Broussard finished with a score of 82 points finishing just 5 points behind 2nd U.S. Merchant Marine Academy and 17 off the leader Navy.

“Clay sailed his best ever regatta in college and this makes me very excited and proud for him heading towards nationals,” Coach Mike Callahan (SFS ’97) said.  

The MAISA singles also featured senior Jack Marshall, who just missed the national qualification by finishing with a score of 87 points, one point behind Navy.

“I felt certain Jack was the best kid at the regatta but a few mental errors and mistakes kept him out by just one point. It was close right at the finish line but just not enough. We are excited for him in the next couple of races,” Callahan said.  

The No. 6 ranked women’s team travelled this weekend to Annapolis, Md. to race against teams such as College of Charleston, Brown, Yale, Stanford and Cornell. The Hoyas were led by senior Lola Bushnell, freshman Carly Broussard, and sophomore Haddon Hughes as they all qualified for the national tournament. 

The Hoyas entered the regatta as the 6th ranked team in hopes of climbing the national rankings. However, the Hoyas maintained this ranking in a consistent showing.

Tough starts hurt the Hoya crews, but strong finishes propelled them to a 6th place overall score of 353 points, just 11 behind Boston University. Broussard and Bushnell performed strong in the C division.  

“I was very happy with both Carly Broussard and Lola Bushnell as they finished 3rd in the C division,” Callahan said.

Each crew started slow but had one of the day’s best performances in race five to exhibit significant improvement throughout the regatta.  

“In each of our races in the A and B division, we started out slow but turned it on in race 5 and 6,” Callahan said. “We can tell we are close and have the opportunity to win. Our best ever finish at the Navy Women’s Regatta is 2nd so we will continue to work to improve that. These girls can compete.”

The Hoyas head back to Navy this weekend as they face the top teams in the nation for Navy Fall Coed Intersectional. After falling to the 3 seed amongst co-ed teams, the Hoyas look to reclaim their number 1 seed against Charleston, Navy and Yale. 

The regatta is set to begin Saturday.