SAILING | Three Women Qualify for National Championships

Three members of the Georgetown women’s sailing team qualified for the Intercollegiate Sailing Association’s Single-handed Nationals this past weekend at the Middle Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association’s Women’s Single-handed Championships at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md.

Senior Lola Bushnell, freshman Carly Broussard and junior Haddon Hughes finished first, fourth and fifth, respectively, to qualify for the ICSA Single-handed Nationals that will take place during the first weekend of November at the University of South Florida.

The other women who qualified for nationals were Lenox Bucher, a sophomore from the University of Pennsylvania, and Riley Legault, a junior from The George Washington University. Legault finished one point ahead of Broussard to come in third place.

Sophomore Macey McCann finished sixth and senior Rose Edwards finished eighth. Both narrowly missed the threshold to qualify.

Georgetown Head Coach Michael Callahan (SFS ’97) praised his team for its success, especially given tough weather conditions.

“Overall, very pleased three of the five spots went to Georgetown girls,” Callahan said. “There wasn’t a lot of wind this weekend anywhere on the Chesapeake Bay. It was a really trying regatta — really difficult regatta to stay consistent. We’re just happy to have gotten three. It could have been tough with the crazy conditions.”

According to Callahan, the slow winds on the Chesapeake Bay affected the way the Hoyas handled the race.

“There is sort of a randomness factor that comes into it, where the wind is so patchy that all of a sudden a little puff of wind will appear and a couple boats will get it and a couple boats won’t, and that can really change the outcome of a race,” Callahan said.

The Hoyas have enjoyed a fast start this fall. They previously won eight of 14 races at the Navy’s Women’s Radial Regatta in Annapolis earlier in September. Callahan attributed his team’s continued success to its depth.

“We’ve done well in the events that we’ve competed in, so we have had a lot of individual success,” Callahan said. “We’re a deep team, so we have a lot of people who can go out and do well. I think the reason we have done so well so far has really been because of our depth.”

The Hoyas are back in action this weekend in the MAISA Match Race Championships in Annapolis and the Tom Curtis Regatta in Washington, D.C.

Both events will take place on Sept. 30 and Oct. 1.