SOFTBALL | Squad Drops Four of Five in South Carolina

GUHOYAS
Sophomore pitcher Anna Brooks Pacha started two games last weekend, striking out 19 batters and walking five in 14 innings. Pacha gave up three earned runs total last weekend.
GUHOYAS Sophomore pitcher Anna Brooks Pacha started two games last weekend, striking out 19 batters and walking five in 14 innings. Pacha gave up three earned runs total last weekend.

Amid a tough nonconference schedule, the Georgetown softball team continued to struggle last weekend, dropping four out of five games at the Chanticleer Showdown in Conway, S.C.

Georgetown’s (3-11) lone victory of the weekend came against Pittsburgh (8-5-1) on Saturday, with a final score of 5-3. Georgetown lost to Pittsburgh on Friday and Saturday to host team Coastal Carolina (11-5) on Friday and Sunday, and to Saint Joseph’s (6-4) on Saturday.

GUHOYAS

“We need to find a way to execute and manufacture those runs [left on base], so that’s what we will be doing in practice this week,” Conlan said in an interview with The Hoya.

Despite the 3-11 start to the season, Conlan is encouraged by the team’s close games and understands the Hoyas have the talent to compete with any team.

“I love this team, we’re a really good group. I’m not judging our success right now on our win loss record; I think we’ve been really competitive,” Conlan said.
Junior catcher Sarah Bennett, a starter since her freshman year, was a major contributor to the team’s offensive efforts at the Chanticleer Showdown. Bennett led the team with five hits and five RBIs over the course of the tournament, and also drew three walks.

Bennett’s success at the plate led Conlan to move her up to the clean-up spot in the lineup.

“We started to see her bat come alive, so we bumped her up in the lineup and it really paid off this weekend for us. She’s one of our best hitters,” Conlan said.

Other notable offensive efforts came from junior outfielder Mallory Belknap, freshman infielder NeNe Campos, freshman infielder Savannah Jones and senior outfielder Theresa Kane, who each had four hits during the tournament.

While the weak start to the season may not seems optimal for the Hoyas, Conlan praised the team’s potential and said that playing tough teams early in the season will pay dividends for the team.

“If we can elevate our game against some of the best, when we get into our conference [schedule] that should help us with our preparation to have success there,” Conlan said. “We’re going to be a really tough team to beat.”

Up next the Hoyas are playing at the District Classic back in Washington, D.C., from March 2 to 4.