TENNIS | Men Beat Morgan State, Women Win 2 of 3

The Georgetown men’s tennis team closed out its regular season with a commanding 4-0 victory over the Morgan State Bears on Saturday, April 13. The women’s team defeated the Naval Academy on Friday, but they were unable to maintain this momentum as they fell to Marquette on Saturday.

After the Bears (11-7, 3-0 Mid-Eastern) forfeited one of their doubles matches, the Hoyas (6-10, 2-2 Big East) needed only one victory to secure the doubles point. Senior Michael Chen and sophomore Charlie Sharton clinched the first doubles match with a 6-2 victory to give the Hoyas the doubles point.

With Morgan State also forfeiting one of the singles matches, Georgetown only needed to win two of the remaining five matches to assure a victory. Freshman Andrew Rozanov defeated Sebastian Lopez of Morgan State 6-4, 6-2, while sophomore Rohan Kamdar defeated his opponent 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 1 position. The remaining singles matches either went unfinished or unstarted, as the Hoyas had already clinched the match.

Georgetown has now built some momentum going into the Big East tournament, winning its last three matches. Georgetown will face Marquette University (13-8) in the first round of the Big East Conference tournament Friday, April 19. The Hoyas fell to Marquette 2-5 in their last matchup Jan. 25 in Milwaukee, Wis.

GU HOYAS | Senior Risa Nakagawa led the women’s team with two three-set singles victories over the weekend

The Georgetown women’s tennis team (3-15, 1-6 Big East) closed out its regular season against the Naval Academy (22-8, 5-1 Patriot) on April 12 and Marquette (12-9, 4-2 Big East) on April 13. The Hoyas opened with a tight come-from-behind 4-3 victory in their first match of the weekend against Navy, led by strong play from their seniors.

After only taking one of the three doubles matches, however, Georgetown lost the doubles point. Navy continued their hot start, winning the first two singles matches in straight sets in the No. 5 and No. 6 positions.

Sophomore Sofie Moenster cruised to a straight-set victory in the No. 1 spot to give the Hoyas their first point of the match. In the final three singles matches, senior Sydney Goodson and freshman Elena De Santis secured three-set wins to tie the match at 3-3. Finally, senior star Risa Nakagawa rounded out the match with yet another three-set victory to give the Hoyas the 4-3 victory.

Georgetown’s win over Navy marked its first victory in nearly a month, as the 3-15 Hoyas have struggled to match up against strong competition in the Big East over the course of the season.

The next day, women were unable to continue their momentum against Big East rival Marquette, as the Georgetown was only able to win two points in the match. The Hoyas dropped the first two doubles matches to quickly fall behind 1-0.

Goodson and Nakagawa continued their stellar play, with Goodson coasting to a straight-set victory in the No. 2 spot and Nakagawa notching a three-set victory in the No. 4 position after dropping the first set. The remainder of Georgetown’s lineup, however, struggled to handle Marquette, with the remaining four players losing in straight sets.

The women’s squad will now turn its attention toward the Big East tournament where it plays against Butler on Thursday, April 18. In their lone match against the Butler Bulldogs this season, the Hoyas won 5-2. However, Georgetown’s victory came early in the spring season, and after that victory the Hoyas went on to lose 13 out of their next 14 matches. The team will look to rekindle their fire from the beginning of the season as the strong senior class takes one final stab at the Big East Tournament.