Tennis | Freshmen Successful in Debut

The men’s tennis squad is looking to follow up its postseason success at the Big East tournament, where it finished as a semifinalist.
GU Hoyas

Last weekend, the Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams began their seasons at the Penn Invitational and the Bedford Tennis Mid-Atlantic Tennis Championship, respectively.

The women’s team featured two freshmen, Elena De Santis and Renee Repella, competing in their first tournament as Hoyas. De Santis reached the semifinals in her debut, defeating opponents from Towson University and Virginia Tech before falling to Kanako Yano of Virginia Commonwealth University in the semifinals by the score of 6-2, 6-2.

Repella also started her Georgetown career well, advancing to the round of 16.

Sophomore Sofie Moenster advanced to the finals before also losing to VCU’s Yano 6-2, 7-6. Moenster backed up her singles performance with a semifinals run in doubles alongside her partner, senior Cecilia Lynham.

Yano defeated a third Hoya on the day, senior Risa Nakagawa, in the round of 16. Out of the three Georgetown players who competed against Yano, Nakagawa played her the tightest, losing by a score of 7-5, 6-4.

Nakagawa will look to lead the Hoyas to success in its next tournament when they compete in the Milwaukee Tennis Classic beginning Sept. 20.

The men’s tennis team began their season at the University of Pennsylvania’s annual fall tournament. Throughout the weekend, the Hoyas competed against Yale, Princeton and Penn, Ivy League teams that historically rank in the top 100 Division I teams.

Overall, the Hoyas performance featured an even mix of wins and losses.

Starting against Yale, Georgetown won three out of the four doubles matches with senior Michael Chen and junior Ian Witmer winning a tight match by the score of 7-6.

In singles competition, the Hoyas won three out of the seven matches and were led by the performances of Georgetown sophomores: Connor Lee, Charlie Sharton and Luke Ross all captured victories. Senior Michael Chen battled back after losing the first set but was defeated in the third set by a score of 6-1.

In Georgetown’s second match against Princeton, the Hoyas split the doubles matches with Lee and sophomore Rohan Kamdar winning 7 to 5 in the tiebreaker.

In singles, Chen and freshman Carlos Grande earned the Hoyas’ two victories. Playing in the number 7 spot for the Hoyas, Grande won a three-set match 7-6, 3-6, 7-5.

Taking Chen’s spot in the number one position against Penn, Kamdar lost a three-set match 4-6, 6-2, 6-4.

Rounding out their weekend, the Hoyas competed against Penn, where they started off strong in doubles competition by taking three out of the four matches.

Georgetown was less successful in singles play, as Ross was the sole Hoya to win in the eight singles matchups. Ross, playing in the number 7 spot, bounced back after losing the second set to win the match 6-4 in the third.

The men’s team will play their next tournament this upcoming weekend at the Joe Hunt Memorial in Annapolis, Md.