TENNIS | Teams Compete at Morgan State Invitational

Senior Will Sharton won his consolation match against Navy in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1.
GU HOYAS

The Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams both had strong showings last weekend at the Morgan State Invitational.

The two Georgetown teams faced a total of seven opponents in a three-day stretch at Morgan State University’s annual tournament in Baltimore, Md., which began Friday, Oct. 5.

Georgetown’s women’s team defeated Loyola Maryland on Oct. 5 and Bucknell on Oct. 6 before its Saturday afternoon showdown with Morgan State, who entered the season as the reigning Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference champion.

The women’s team finished the weekend with three wins, as well as a 2-2 tie against Morgan State; the match against Morgan State was played with three singles matches and one doubles match as opposed to the four and one format used for the rest of the weekend.

The Hoyas rounded out their weekend with a Sunday match against the Bucknell Bisons, earning a 3-2 victory to complete an all-around strong weekend before next week’s women’s Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regionals hosted by Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va.

Senior captain Lilly Lynham led Georgetown in the tournament, earning a victory in her singles match against Bucknell – which clinched a Hoyas victory – as well as both of her doubles matches.

The men’s team also recorded a successful weekend, defeating all three of its opponents, including sweeps against the University of Hartford on Saturday and Loyola University Maryland on Sunday. On Friday, the Hoyas swept their singles matches before falling in their lone doubles match against Morgan State.

The Hoyas took advantage of their entire roster because of the many matches over the weekend, granting experience to younger players who all saw substantial playing time against Morgan State.

Men’s and women’s tennis Head Coach Courtney Dolehide emphasized that the Hoyas’ matches over the weekend provided the team with an opportunity to play in a competitive environment and face strong competition.

“[This was] an opportunity for the players to play with confidence and perform as the top dog team, playing with a lot of pressure,” Dolehide said in an interview with The Hoya.

The men’s team will compete in the Gold Invite at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., against a similar collection of local opponents next weekend, as they tune up for the ITA regionals Oct. 20, hosted by Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va., which includes the top teams in the Atlantic region.

The women’s team will head to Lynchburg, Va., for the ITA Regionals from Oct. 12 to Oct. 16.