Track & Field | GU Earns Six Big East Titles

Both the men’s and women’s outdoor track and field teams competed at the Big East championship meet in Geneva, Ohio. The men finished in fourth place out of seven teams, winning four individual titles in the process. The women came in fifth out of eight, claiming two events, including the 4×800-meter relay.

For the men, sophomore Joe White led the Hoyas as he captured his seventh Big East championship in his career. In the men’s 800m finals, White finished with a time of 1:50.77, winning the event. White became the third Georgetown runner to defend an 800m championship. Freshman Spencer Brown secured sixth place overall in the event with a time of 1:52.67. White credited strength training to his development from freshman year.

“We have done a lot more strength work,” White said. “We have also been doing a lot of longer stuff, which has been benefitting me a lot. I’ve been working out with some of the longer-distance guys, and I’ve been really liking it and getting stronger.”

Senior Ahmed Bile tallied his seventh Big East title win as well, winning the men’s 1500m finals. Bile clocked in at 3:55.48. Graduate student Cole Williams finished in second place overall with a time of 3:55.58. Bile and Williams battled down the final stretch of the race for first place overall. Senior Darren Fahy crossed the finish line in fifth place at 3:56.88.

In the 4x800m relay, the foursome of junior Scott Carpenter, senior Andrew Ogle, Williams and Bile finished in second place overall with a time of 7:39.31. Bile was tripped on the final turn of the anchor leg and could not recover.

In the men’s 5000m event, senior Michael Crozier captured fifth place, clocking in at 14:32.8. This time was a personal record by more than 10 seconds, helping the Hoyas add more points.

Fahy claimed first place for the Hoyas in the 3000m steeplechase, marking the third straight year a Hoya has won this event. Carpenter followed Fahy, finishing with a time of 8:55.04, claiming second place overall.

Junior Jonathan Green secured another victory for the Hoyas as he won the men’s 10000m race with a time of 31:06.24. Green was followed by junior Connor Sheryak who captured fifth place with a time of 31.12.90.

With the season near its end, White reflected upon the seniors’ role on the team.

“Those guys are awesome,” White said. “I’m really going to miss them. They are such great leaders and they have always taught me to keep my head clear no matter how many outside pressures there might be. They always reminded me to laugh a little.”

For the women, graduate student Katrina Coogan claimed the seventh Big East title of her career donning the Blue and Gray. Coogan emerged victorious in the women’s 1500m race, defending her title and clocking in at 4:26.24. Sophomore Piper Donaghu and freshman Audrey Belf placed third and fourth overall with times of 4:29.53 and 4:32.27 respectively. Coogan said she relished the meet because it brought the whole team together.

“It was just a fun weekend overall,” Coogan said. “It’s one of the few meets where the whole team gets to compete at the same time so it was fun to be a part of that and contribute to the team’s score.”

Relay team members sophomore Aleta Looker, junior Emma Keenan, Coogan and senior Heather Martin defended their championship in the women’s 4×800. They crossed the finish line at 8:47.89 for the 10th event win in Georgetown’s history. Coogan said she was pleased with the effort of the team as a whole throughout the meet.

“In every event we entered in we pretty much had someone score, which was awesome because that just means we are doing really well in the events that we have people in,” Coogan said. “That was really exciting. At this point in the season, running our best is really important; it shows that our training is working and doing what it’s supposed to.”

In the women’s 800m race, Martin captured second place with a time of 2:07.78. Graduate student Andrea Keklak finished at 2:07.93, good for third overall. Martin and Keklak were followed by Keenan, who claimed fourth at a time of 2:08.22, and senior Jocelyn Hubbard, who crossed the finish line at seventh place at 2:13.41.

The relay of sophomore Jody-Ann Knight, Keklak, Donaghu and Hubbard secured third place in the women’s 4x400m relay. with a time of 3:50.8.

In the women’s 10000m event, sophomore Autumn Eastman, who finished at 34:55.11, senior Sarah Cotton, who finished at 35:04.03, and sophomore Madeline Perez, who finished at 35:23.27, finished in third, fourth and fifth place respectively.

Eastman followed up her performance in the 10000m event with an impressive showing in the women’s 5000m. Eastman claimed fourth place with a time of 16:42.7.

Coogan spoke about what she wishes to impart to the athletes and friends she will be leaving after this season as her eligibility runs out.

“I think it’s just remembering to focus on the process,” Coogan said. “It’s really easy in track to be outcome-driven, but it’s all about the process and improvements each day. Also just remembering that the team and what we have a Georgetown is really special culture-wise and making sure everyone is focused on doing the best they can for the team.”

The Georgetown men’s and women’s track and field teams will travel to the NCAA East Preliminary meet in Jacksonville, Fla., on May 26.