VOLLEYBALL | Hoyas Come Up Empty in 2 Narrow Defeats

AARON WEINMANN FOR THE HOYA
Senior outside hitter Olivia King, whose 79 kills on the season place her fourth on the team, has bolstered Georgetown’s offense this year.

Last weekend, the Georgetown volleyball team fell to Seton Hall in three sets and dropped a close five-set match against St. John’s.

On Oct. 19, Georgetown (13-10, 6-5 Big East) was swept in straight sets by Seton Hall (8-15, 3-7 Big East). The first and third sets were decided by two points, while Seton Hall took the second set by a score of 25-19.

In the first frame, senior libero Kenzie Higareda’s ace provided the Hoyas with a 12-8 lead. The teams were tied at 21-21 and 24-24, but a late run allowed the Pirates to win the set 27-25.

After a dominant second set by Seton Hall, the third frame was again tightly contested. The Hoyas were tied at 10-10 with the Pirates, but could not mount a comeback after going down by four points. Seton Hall took the frame 25-23 and clinched the three set sweep and the victory.

Senior outside hitter Alyssa Sinnette and senior middle blocker Symone Speech led the Hoyas offensively against Seton Hall, and each tallied double-digit kills. On the defensive end, Speech added seven blocks and Higareda recorded 12 digs.

On Saturday, Oct. 20, Georgetown faced another Big East opponent, St. John’s (18-8, 7-4 Big East). The Red Storm rank third in the Big East standings, with the Hoyas one spot behind in fourth.

The first set, which was decided by two points, started what would be a tightly contested match. With the score tied at 20-20, St. John’s pushed the score to 24-22, needing one more point to secure a first-set victory. The Hoyas came out firing from a timeout to tie the score at 24-24, but the Red Storm scored three out of the last four points to take the frame.

In the late stages of the second set, with the score tied at 22-22, the Hoyas scored three consecutive points to win the frame and even the score of the match at 1-1.

After the third set, which the Red Storm took 25-18, the Hoyas responded to send the match to a fifth frame. Georgetown faced an early 5-1 deficit, but came back to reduce St. John’s lead to 13-12. The Red Storm ended the Hoyas’ hopes of a come-from-behind victory, scoring the final two points to win the match.

Sinnette notched another strong performance against St. Johns, recording 18 kills as well as eight blocks, leading the team in both categories. Sophomore setter Margo Pivonka added 38 assists in the five-set match.

On Oct. 26, Georgetown will face Villanova at 5 p.m. in a Big East matchup in McDonough Arena.