WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | Georgetown Dominates Pittsburgh at Home

After falling to James Madison on the road Nov. 16, the Georgetown women’s basketball team bounced back Nov. 19, defeating Pittsburgh 70-41 at home.

The Hoyas (4-1) benefitted from a number of solid performances, as four different players posted double-digit scoring numbers. Senior guard Dionna White led the way with 15 points, while graduate student guards Dorothy Adomako, who scored 14 points, and Mikayla Venson, who scored 13 points, added to Georgetown’s strong backcourt play. Venson scored half of the Hoyas’ points in the first quarter and shot 36 percent from the field in 27 minutes of action.

KIRK ZIESER/THE HOYA | Graduate student guard Mikayla Venson is averaging 14 points per game this season for the Georgetown women’s basketball team.

Senior guard Brianna Jones also contributed 10 points on six shots, including two three-pointers.

Head Coach James Howard praised Jones’ performance against Pitt.

“Brianna Jones played big time tonight,” Howard said in a postgame press conference. “She has been trying to find her fit and what she can do for this team, and she showed us tonight.”

After struggling offensively in the first quarter, Georgetown extended its lead to 17-7 after White scored the team’s first seven points of the second quarter. The Hoyas continued to improve offensively after halftime, scoring 22 points in the third quarter, tied for the most they have scored in a quarter so far this season.

In the fourth quarter, Georgetown recorded eight consecutive points to extend its lead to 63-35 and finished the game with a 29-point advantage.

The Hoyas outrebounded the Panthers 52 to 36 and scored nine second-chance points off offensive rebounds. Georgetown also dominated in the paint, notching 20 points inside.

Howard said that strong rebounding allowed Georgetown to take advantage of its chances on both ends of the floor.  

“Our rebounding helped us tonight, especially on defense,” Howard said. “We were disciplined on defense. We were able to capitalize on opportunities and send all five on the court to the glass.”

Defensively, Georgetown held Pitt (2-3) to 25 percent shooting and forced 18 turnovers.

Howard said the Hoyas emphasized passing and defense in practice and executed their game plan against the Panthers.

“Two things we were focusing on before coming into this game were defense and sharing the ball,” Howard said in a postgame press conference. “We were able to move the ball tonight, especially in transition. Tonight’s game showed who we are, and when we are doing those things, we are hard to beat.”

Georgetown will compete in the South Point Thanksgiving Shootout this week, facing Buffalo on Nov. 23 and Baylor on Nov. 24.