WOMEN’S GOLF | GU Starts Spring With 9th-Place Finish

Georgetown women’s golf kicked off the spring season this week at the 43-team Edwin Watts/ Kiawah Island Classic. The Hoyas finished in ninth place, recording a 36-over-par score of 900 over the course of the three-day tournament. The tournament was played on two courses at Kiawah Island Resort in Kiawah Island, S.C..

GUHOYAS
Senior Lauran Gros tied for 44th over the weekend with a nine-over par score of 225.

The College of Charleston, the tournament host, took home the hardware, carding an 8-over-par score of 872. Murray State (879), Jacksonville (882), UNC Wilmington (886) and Western Kentucky (889) rounded out the rest of the top five.

Following an opening round score of 9-over-par 297 that put the Hoyas in 11th place after 18 holes, they gained three strokes per round over the next two days. After jumping around the leaderboard, the Hoyas’ score of a 15-over-par 303 in the final round boosted the team into ninth place.

Senior Jacquelyn Eleey led the Hoyas with a three-over-par 219 for the weekend, tying for 15th overall. Senior Lauren Gros finished in a tie for 44th at nine-over-par 225. Junior Christina Parsells shot an 11-over-par 227 to tie for 58th. Junior Alexa Popowitz recorded a 17-over-par 233 and sophomore Ashley Fitzgibbons carded a 24-over-par 240.

The Hoyas return to competition Monday at The Battle at Boulder Creek at the Boulder Creek Golf Club in Boulder City, Nev.