WOMEN’S SOCCER | GU Bounces Back With Dominant Win

Bouncing back from a draw against Creighton last Thursday, No. 15 Georgetown women’s soccer dominated Villanova 5-0 in Philadelphia on Sunday with a standout performance by redshirt sophomore forward Amanda Carolan.

Coming into last week, the Hoyas (10-2-2, 4-0-1 Big East) were red hot, shutting out their opponents in seven straight contests en route to a 6-0-1 record. That same week, senior defender Elizabeth Wenger was named Big East Defensive Player of the Week and freshman forward Jenna Menta was named Big East Freshman of the Week.

CORLINE PAPPAS FOR THE HOYA
Junior forward Caitlin Farrell notched an assist in Georgetown’s win over Villanova.

Georgetown’s strong defensive play continued into Thursday’s matchup at home against Creighton (2-9-3, 0-3-2 Big East), allowing only two shots overall. However, the Hoyas’ offense was unable to generate enough goals to secure the victory, despite dominating possession and taking 36 shots and 16 corner kicks.

The Blue Jays scored in the 43rd minute to put the Hoyas on their heels, but an 81st-minute goal from sophomore midfielder Paula Germino-Watnick prevented what would have been a major upset loss. The game eventually finished in a 1-1 double overtime draw.

“It was hard to get behind Creighton because they were defending at the front of their six [yard box], and there was no space behind them,” Head Coach Dave Nolan said. “And because they were compact and keeping numbers back, it was very hard to get shots off.”

Sunday’s match on the road against Villanova (6-8-0, 2-3-0 Big East) was a complete reversal of Thursday’s performance, as Georgetown played as if it had something to prove.

“To be fair to Villanova, they tried to play us straight up. There’s a risk-reward there,” Nolan said. “The reward is you give yourself a greater chance to win the game. The risk is you leave yourself exposed.”

The scoring for the Blue and Gray started off in the 34th minute. Senior midfielder Rachel Corboz sent a through ball that passed the Wildcat defense and found the foot of Carolan, who chipped in her first goal of the day to put her team up for good.

Only 33 seconds later, Corboz sent a pass to junior forward Caitlin Farrell, who crossed the ball into a wide-open Carolan in the box, who finished once again.

Then, two minutes after, Menta sent another cross in the box, which Carolan headed into the back of the net for her third goal in the span of less than three minutes.

The scoring for the Hoyas continued into the second half, when an attempted cross from Farrell was kicked by a defender into her own goal, making the score 5-0.

Carolan topped off her career day with another finish off a cross, this time from sophomore midfielder Carson Nizialek. Corboz made the initial pass to Nizialek, to set up the goal as well as her third assist of the match.

“[Crosses are] something that we spend a lot of time on because we’ve got some really good wide players,” Nolan said. “We feel that’s a strength of ours – to get behind teams and get crosses behind the back four.”

Corboz’s three assists gave her 101 career points at Georgetown, the third Hoya to ever reach the 100-point mark, behind Ingrid Wells (COL ’11) and older sister Daphne Corboz (COL ’14).

Carolan became the first Hoya to score four goals in a game since the elder Corboz did it in 2012. Carolan’s performance won her the Big East Offensive Player of the Week, while Wenger won Big East Defensive Player of the Week for the second straight week.

Junior goalkeeper Arielle Schechtman did not have to record a save in her 11th shutout of the year as Georgetown held the advantage 9-0 in shots on goal and 15-4 in shots overall.

Next up for the Hoyas is a road matchup against the Providence Friars (8-6-0, 3-2-0 Big East) on Sunday, Oct. 15.