SCHLARP: Tim Tebow Will Make Baseball Great Again

Since he took his first snap at the University of Florida in 2006, won the Heisman in 2007, became a national champion in 2008 and engineered a 2012 playoff victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers, Tim Tebow has captured the attention of not only sports fans, but the entire country.

Although he was arguably the least capable quarterback in the NFL, Tebow attracted a cult following of both lovers and haters. No matter what show or radio station you tuned into, Tebow was the topic of discussion. The legendary “Tebowing” pose became a massive trend all over social media.

Despite his relatively quick fizzle out of the NFL in 2015 after being cut by the Philadelphia Eagles, Tebow still refused to disappear. He became a knowledgeable analyst for ESPN and the SEC Network and also helped cover the last BCS National Championship game. Since his retirement, Tebow remains very outspoken about his Christian faith and has been an integral part in many charitable endeavors.

Seemingly, whatever industry or topic Tebow decided to dip his toes into, the event would immediately become hot and relevant.

The ubiquitous media attraction Tebow receives has been greater than that of baseball, America’s past time, which has not attracted as large of an audience. Baseball has been losing out on the desirable millennial demographic that seems to be attracted to the fast-paced nature of basketball or soccer.

The MLB has added things like a pitch-clock in order to speed up play and has even discussed shortening games to try to better capture the focus of our attention spans. While baseball has seen some gains in viewership, it may not be enough to save the dying sport.

There simply is not enough wow factor to draw in the casual fan. Baseball seems to lack a superstar quality capable of drawing in the masses. I offer you the panacea himself: Tim Tebow.

In early August, Tim Tebow released a public statement detailing his intention to play professional baseball. Tebow, an all-state high school baseball player, announced that he would be holding an open workout for scouts to watch him hit pitches and run drills. When I heard this, I initially balked at the idea — as too did Tyler Park in his column in The Hoya, “Tebow Continually Makes Questionable Career Choices”.

His initial announcement was obviously met with much criticism. Baseball scouts and aficionados claimed that this was merely a publicity stunt. It was just Tebow trying to get more Tebow-time and become relevant yet again.

Diehards complained that if a minor league team signed him, it would only be to sell tickets and he would be taking the roster spot of a more deserving player. As time progressed, however, that uncanny Tebow charm began working its magic.

As usual, Tebow’s timing is impeccable. The MLB season is coming to a conclusion, and cellar teams like the Rays and Braves are struggling to put people in the seats. Signing Tebow could be just like Dollar Dog Night or Thirsty Thursday, a promotional event to fill a stadium. Who cares if he is physically not deserving of being on the team; baseball needs excitement.

Tim Tebow is the spice of life. Tim Tebow is the baseball universe’s duct tape.

Not only would more tickets sell, but television ratings would increase. People would actually be talking about baseball, and this time not for steroids. On Wednesday, it was announced a New York Mets’ minor league affiliate had officially offered Tebow a contract.

If there is a MLB GM out there reading this, I implore you. Do the right thing. Make baseball great again. Sign Tim Tebow.

SchlarpThomas Schlarp is a sophomore in the School of Nursing and Health Studies. The Stove appears every Tuesday.