Over 40 GU Community Members Afflicted by Norovirus

Aamir Jamil/The Hoya | An outbreak of a norovirus, a contagious virus that causes vomiting and stomach pain, has sparked alarm at Georgetown University.

The Georgetown University Student Health and Public Health teams informed the university community of a norovirus outbreak on campus in an April 4 email.

The email stated that, as of March 27, there had been over a dozen individuals on campus who experienced symptoms consistent with those of norovirus, a gastrointestinal illness that causes vomiting, stomach pain and diarrhea and can lead to dehydration. According to a university spokesperson, over 40 members of the campus community have reported symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea as of April 11. Three samples were tested, all of which came back positive for norovirus. 

Norovirus, often referred to as the stomach bug or food poisoning, is a highly contagious virus that can spread through direct contact with an infected person or from touching a surface contaminated with the virus’ particles. Approximately 19 to 21 million Americans contract the virus every year, with 109,000 becoming hospitalized annually.

Accordingly, the teams urged students who have symptoms to limit their contact with other people until a few days after their symptoms disappear, as the virus contagion period typically lasts from three days to two weeks. 

Mia Singla (CAS ’27) said she suffered from norovirus symptoms that became so severe that she needed medical assistance from Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Service (GERMS), the volunteer, student-run emergency medical service on campus.

“I was nauseous for about an hour before I started vomiting. The vomiting became so violent and I was so dehydrated that I passed out, at which point a friend called GERMS. GERMS took me to the Georgetown hospital, where I got an IV to help with the dehydration and nausea,” Singla wrote to The Hoya. 

Another student, Solene DeGaynor (SFS ’27), had symptoms consistent with those of norovirus and said the virus made her sick for several days. 

“I was really nauseous for probably 24 hours, but then I wasn’t eating anything for probably four or five days because I couldn’t keep anything down,” DeGaynor told The Hoya. 

DeGaynor also said that her symptoms quickly spread to those around her.

“My roommate — 24 hours after I was throwing up, she was also throwing up and had chills and a fever,” DeGaynor said. 

The university also experienced a norovirus outbreak in 2021, where 145 students, faculty and staff reported symptoms and two samples tested positive for the virus. The university spokesperson said that the university is currently implementing many of the strategies used in 2021. 

According to the Student Health and Public Health teams, in response to the outbreak, Georgetown’s Department of Planning and Facilities Management has sanitized commonly used spaces on campus, such as Yates Field House, Leo J. O’Donovan Dining Hall and Lauinger Library and rooms of those who have reported symptoms of norovirus. The team’s email also stated that additional custodians have been employed to increase the frequency of cleaning. 

GERMS said it has sought to play an integral role in the response to the norovirus outbreak on campus.

“Since the date of the first reports of norovirus on campus (3/27), GERMS has responded to numerous suspected norovirus cases with generally consistent symptoms of acute onset nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. However, we don’t have any way to confirm if these patients actually tested positive for the virus,” GERMS wrote in a statement to The Hoya.

GERMS said their team has been briefed on the virus and is prepared to deal with norovirus cases. 

“As part of their EMT certification, our members are trained on identifying and managing patients with viruses that present with similar symptoms to norovirus,” GERMS wrote. 

GERMS said they have closely communicated with the university regarding the spread of norovirus. 

“We have been working closely with the Georgetown Public Health team and exchange daily

communication to keep each other updated on any areas of burden, relevant trends, and

updates on the progression of the outbreak,” GERMS wrote. 

According to a university spokesperson, the university is confident that it is well-equipped to deal with the norovirus outbreak. 

Georgetown has excellent coordination between its different campus services that allows us to move quickly as an institution to put safety measures in place to decrease the effects of this virus,” the university spokesperson wrote to The Hoya.